The following Palm Tungsten E Battery Replacement Instruction guide can be used for the following models:
1. Make sure your Tungsten E is off.
2. Remove the four screws on the back of the PDA using the included Torx T5 screwdriver. They will be located at the four corners of the device.
3. Once the screws have been removed, GENTLY pry open the Palm case starting on either side using the included plastic flathead screwdriver or any small flathead screwdriver. Note that there will be tabs holding the case together, and each one will have to be released. Pry all around the device, releasing each tab until the back cover comes open completely.
4. Lift off the back case of the Tungsten and set it aside for reassembly. Make sure that you are grounded before coming into contact with the Tungsten’s internal parts.
5. Note the location and orientation of the original battery within the device. You will see two wires (red and black) connecting the battery to the motherboard.
6. Use your soldering iron on a low setting to soften the area where the old battery’s wires are connected to the motherboard. BEFORE DOING THIS, note the order of the wire colors and which area each color was originally soldered to. When the metal has been softened, gently remove the original battery’s wires.
7. Remove the original battery from the battery compartment, using the plastic flathead to assist if needed. Be very careful not to bend or break the battery as you remove it.
8. Remove the protective tape from the end of the new battery. Remove the black and red insulation from the ends of the wires to about 1 centimeter up. This can be done with wire strippers, a razor, or small scissors. Be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the wires.
9. Taking care not to overheat the internal parts of the Tungsten, solder the new battery wires by color into the same locations that the original wires were soldered. Place the new battery into the battery compartment.
Make sure that the hold switch is aligned correctly, then press the back cover of the Palm on over the new battery and screw the four screws back in. FULLY CHARGE your new battery before use. (Allow at least three hours).
10. If you happen to get an error regarding an invalid unique ID that tells you to do a reset after charging the battery, the reset will work and will restore your Tungsten E if you press the reset button on the back of the unit while holding down the power button at the top. The device will ask if you want to erase everything. You should answer “yes.” Once the reset is done, you can sync the unit with the backup to restore your data.
11. Our tools fit the majority of Palms, but some devices may have different screws installed for various reasons. If our tools do not fit your device, you may have the appropriate tool in a tool kit you already own. You can also check your local hardware or electronics store if you do not have the right tool at home.
PLEASE NOTE: Patience and care, along with moderate technical and hand tool ability, are required for the successful replacement of a battery. Excessive force may result in damage to your device. The instructions above come with no warranty or guarantee. By utilizing these instructions, you agree to hold Batteryship.com and BatteryEducation.com blameless and unaccountable for any and all damages, problems, or personal injuries that may or may not arise by your use of these instructions. Replacing your battery may void any warranty you have on your device. Please read all instructions BEFORE replacing the battery.