To install a Palm Zire 71 battery follow these installation instructions.
1. Be sure you have aPalm Zire 71 battery. If you do not you can order a Zire 71 Battery at: http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=IA1W721H2&model=Zire+71
2. Patience and care, along with moderate technical and hand tool ability, are required for the successful replacement of a Palm Zire 71 battery.
3. Read all instructions and back up your data BEFORE beginning. Excessive force may result in damage to your Palm Zire 71. The instructions below come with no warranty or guarantee. By utilizing these instructions, you agree to hold BatteryShip.com and BatteryEducation blameless and unaccountable for any and all damages, problems, or personal injuries that may or may not arise by your use of these instructions. Replacing your Zire 71 battery may void any warranty on your device.
IMPORTANT: In some rare cases you may need a technician to assist in the Zire 71 battery replacement. If the blue tabs on the inside of the back case are attached to the motherboard, you may need a technician to remove the tabs. Also, if there is a blue casing covering the battery connector or battery wires and attached/soldered to the motherboard, you may need to consult a technician in order to remove the battery.
4. Make sure your Zire 71 is off and your hold switch is activated (if applicable) before beginning.
5. With the Zire 71 face down, pull the back cover toward the bottom of the Zire 71 to display the digital camera lens and 2 screws located at the top of the device.
6. Remove the two screws at the top of the Zire 71 using a Torx T5 screwdriver. The screws will be located near the two top corners of the device. Set the screws aside for reassembly.
7. Once the screws have been removed, GENTLY pry open the Palm case starting at the top using a plastic pry tool or any small flathead screwdriver (plastic preferred to avoid scratches). Pry all around the device until the back cover is attached only by a ribbon cable. Do not remove the back cover completely- set it aside without detaching the back cover from the ribbon cable.
8. Make sure that you are grounded before coming into contact with the Zire’s internal parts.
The Zire 71 battery will be in a silver battery case at the top of the PDA, and will be attached to the motherboard by two wires and a small white connector at the end of the two wires. Note the orientation of the original battery within the case and within the device. You can flip the case outward (toward the top of the device) for easier access to the battery.
9. Disconnect the old Zire 71 battery at the connector by CAREFULLY pulling upward on the connector with your thumb and forefinger or tweezers. Be very sure that you are pulling upward on only the part of the connector that comes out, NOT on the entire socket or on the wires themselves.
10. Remove the original Zire 71 battery from the battery case, using the pry tool to assist if needed. The battery may be attached to the case with glue or tape. Be very careful not to bend or break the battery as you remove it.
11. Making sure that your new Zire 71 battery is facing the right direction, place the new battery into the battery case and connect the new battery to the device by pressing the connector at the end of the battery wires into the socket. Note the shape of the socket and the shape of the connector, and connect them accordingly. Do not press too hard or try to force the pieces together. They will fit easily when correctly aligned. Place the new battery and case in the battery compartment.
12. Press the back cover of the PDA on over the new battery (making sure that all wires are out of the way). Screw the two top screws back in. FULLY CHARGE your new battery before use. Allow at least three hours.
PLEASE NOTE: The tools at www.batteryship.com fit the majority of Palm Zire 71’s, but some devices may have different screws installed for various reasons. If our tools do not fit your device, you may have the appropriate tool in a tool kit you already own. You can also check your local hardware or electronics store if you do not have the right tool at home.
*****PLEASE NOTE: Patience and care, along with moderate technical and hand tool ability, are required for the successful replacement of a battery. Excessive force may result in damage to your device. The instructions above come with no warranty or guarantee. By utilizing these instructions, you agree to hold Batteryship.com and BatteryEducation.com blameless and unaccountable for any and all damages, problems, or personal injuries that may or may not arise by your use of these instructions. Replacing your battery may void any warranty you have on your device. Please read all instructions BEFORE replacing the battery.