The following Palm Zire 72 Battery Replacement Instruction guide can be used for the following models:
1. Sync - sync the Palm to your desktop before doing anything.
2. Remove the Screws - Use a T5 Torx screwdriver to remove the two screws visible at the bottom rear of the Zire 72. Another screw is hidden under the adhesive label on the back. With effort, you can peel this label off (start at the upper left). Instead of peeling the whole label you can also choose to cut the portion of the label covering the screw, permanently exposing the small screw but leaving the rest of the label untouched. The screw is at the upper edge of the label, right underneath the upper left corner of the bluetooth icon. This screw holds down a tab of the mesh screen that surrounds the camera. Once exposed, remove this screw with a very small Phillips screwdriver.
3. Remove the Mesh - You can now gently pry up and remove the mesh. It has a press fit along its upper edge. Underneath the mesh are two more Phillips head screws. Remove these.
4. Pry the Case Open - Next separate the two halves of the case along a line that goes along the back side of the stylus silo, the front side of the black bezel around the expansion card slot, and around the other two sides (the fit is incredibly tight. I had to use multiple small screwdrivers to pry the case open, and could not avoid bending some metal. Once the sides are separated, open up the case. Be careful; the two halves are connected by two delicate cables, which you may want to unplug. One is a ribbon cable that goes to the camera.
5. Replace the Battery You will see the battery and its tiny connector to the board. Remove the connector (you can use plastic tweezers if needed), remember which side the red wire is on. The old battery is firmly glued down on its back side. Pry the battery up to release it. Then insert the new battery and attach the connector. Some double-sided tape will help hold the battery in place while you reassemble the unit.
6. Reassemble - Snap the case back together. The tiny clear plastic "light indicator" that relays the green power light to the outside of the case needs to be properly positioned, if it has gotten loose. It has 2 registration holes which need to be placed carefully over the 2 registration pins inside the top of the Zire case on the side opposite the stylus. The curved shoulder of this plastic piece needs to be on the side of the curved shoulder of the Zire.
Then replace the screws and mesh. If you peeled back the label, find a way to glue it down again.
Your new battery should be charged for 3 hours before using the Palm. Then do a hard reset by holding the power button, pressing the tiny reset button in the hole on the back, waiting for the Palm Powered logo, and then releasing the power button. Confirm the hard reset and continue to follow instructions to set up and sync your device.
PLEASE NOTE: Patience and care, along with moderate technical and hand tool ability, are required for the successful replacement of a battery. Excessive force may result in damage to your device. The instructions above come with no warranty or guarantee. By utilizing these instructions, you agree to hold Batteryship.com and BatteryEducation.com blameless and unaccountable for any and all damages, problems, or personal injuries that may or may not arise by your use of these instructions. Replacing your battery may void any warranty you have on your device. Please read all instructions BEFORE replacing the battery.